Thursday, May 21, 2015

Have I ever told you how I feel about my nose?


Or at least, my tent and recent exploits as an herbalist? :-)

The tent
A short history: when my family decided that my brother needed his own room, and hence I would need to trade around and share a room again, I decided to not do that. I decided to build my own bedroom... so with help I bought a tent and built a platform for it out of lumber we have from the farm here, and voila! Now I sleep in a tent. It has some great improvements: I ran an extension cord out so that I have light, I built a stove (with lots of help from Dad), and there are many cool things like that around... 


I have also been working on collecting the herbs I want to have next winter. So far I have a pound or two of Horsetail, and a few bunches of Stinging Nettle.

Stock image from Google

Horsetail grows in moist areas, like ditches etc. I got mine from the logging landing that has a spring near it, in our woods. My brother and his friend helped collect it and the nettles. 

Stock image of a stinging nettle from Google
The boys were really helpful with the nettles; while I gingerly snipped and carried, they whacked and toted. :-) The nettles really do sting, but only if you touch the bottoms of the leaves or the stem, generally. I got stung and I think the boys did too, but we got a whole bunch of the stalks for putting in teas or hair treatments. 


The nettles like moist areas too, and I have seen a lot in ditches, but while the horsetail does well in almost-mud, the nettles seem to like perpetually moist soil, in the shade, instead.

That is not even close to my whole list. The list looks more like this:

Herbs I want to gather/grow this year:
Nettle
Horsetail
St. John's Wort
Peppermint
Sage
Parsley
Rosemary
Thyme
Blackberry leaf
Dandelion, root and leaf
Chamomile
Rose hips
Elderberry
and more as I find them...

Some of these are on the list because I want to try to make this:


What have you been up to?

4 comments:

  1. Flamio, Hotman. Flam-i-o.

    Pft, you know what I've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wrote this a week or two ago, and then when I didn't get the pictures I was going to get of the process, I was like, "Fo'get about it!" and posted it without them.

      Delete
  2. Hey Cassie, you might be interested in knowing that the cure for stinging nettle is duck leaf. Hope you find that helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is cool! Are you referring to this plant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex_obtusifolius They are calling it dock, I usually call it Indian Tobacco.

      Delete