Saturday, January 16, 2016

CROSSFIT!!!! *bleh*

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING?!! I HAVE BEEN DOING CROSSFIT! RAHHHH!

:-)

For those who are unfamiliar with Crossfit, it is an... exercise philosophy? There are Crossfit gyms. The basic idea is that no day's workout is the same, and the muscle groups worked are  more universal than running or weightlifting alone. A typical workout has three parts: the warmup, the weight work, and the WOD or workout of the day.

The warmup changes too, but it usually has running or jump roping, calisthenics, and stretch/exercise combo thingys. (<that's a technical term)

The weight work is weightlifting (did you know that puny, chubby me can deadlift 265 lbs? I didn't either!) and we do a variety of lifts (deadlift, strict press, push press, squat snatch, power clean, power snatch etc. etc.)

The WOD is extremely variable. In general, it is either as many reps as possible (AMRAP), or a specific set of reps that you do as fast as you can (I call them chippers, because you chip away at them but I don't know if that is what the trainer people would call it). Of course, what you do reps of depends on the workout. Once it was 150 wall balls. Another time it was box jumps and pullups and hand stand pushups. Sometimes it is squat snatches and other stuff. It is totally variable. The only unifying factor is that you work as hard as you can. Seriously. How many squats can you do in a minute before you pass out? Now how many pushups? Now how many pullups? Whew, go ahead and rest a minute. Now do it all another two times.

It does have tremendous benefits. I am way more confident, happy, and peaceful. The testosterone increase that goes with this has been great for just balancing my life better. Also, I am getting stronger, more toned, and thinner. :-)

Now, since I am writing this for a scheduled post and therefore writing on a Monday, I am headed out to Crossfit. Today's WOD?

For time (a chipper)
21 Thrusters at 65# (for girls)
21 Toes to Bar
21 Hand stand pushups
400 meter run
15 Thrusters at 65#
15 Toes to Bar
15 Hand stand pushups
400 meter run
9 Thrusters at 65#
9 Toes to Bar
9 Hand stand pushups


I go now to die in puddles of sweat and blood on a rubber mat. RAHHHH!

1 comment: